- dump sb : to suddenly end a romantic relationship you have been having with someone
Ex : He’s so awful , why don’t you just dump him.
- run off (somewhere) : to leave a place suddenly and unexpectedly
- a leap forward for sb/sth : a big change, increase, or improvement
Ex : big leap / enormous leap / giant leap
- walk sb out : would only be used if someone were being forced to leave a place or where the route to the exit was very complicated and needed a guide.
- check out sth/sb : to look at someone or something to see whether you like them
- dude : a man
- will not take no for an answer : to not allow someone to refuse what you have offered
- for : used to show an amount of time or distance
Ex : We walked for miles. I haven’t played tennis for years.
- take sb out for sth/to do sth : to go somewhere and do something with someone, usually something you plan and pay for
Ex : Dad’s taking the whole family out to the cinema.
- right : used for emphasis
The car ran right (= completely) out of fuel.
She walked right (= all the way) past me without noticing me.
I’ll be right back/I’ll be right with you (= I will return very soon).
- sweaty : đầy mồ hôi, đẫm mồ hôi
- weird : /wɪrd/ very strange and unusual, unexpected, or not natural
- hypothetical : /ˌhaɪ.pəˈθet̬.ɪ.kəl/ imagined or suggested but not necessarily real or true ( gỉa thuyết , ko có thật )
Ex : a hypothetical example/situation
- high five : đập tay
- strategy : /ˈstræt̬.ə.dʒi/ a detailed plan for achieving success in situations such as war, politics, business, industry, or sport, or the skill of planning for such situations
- mystery : /ˈmɪs.tɚ.i/
- hang out : to spend a lot of time in a place or with someone
- intrigue : /ɪnˈtriːɡ/ to interest someone a lot, especially by being strange, unusual, or mysterious
- hunting = search appartment-hunting / job-hunting/house-hunting
- happening : A happening place is extremely fashionable and exciting
Ex : Ask Caroline – she knows all the happening clubs in town
- needless to say : as you would expect; added to, or used to introduce, a remark giving information that is expected and not surprising
- tapestry : tấm thảm
- monk : a member of a group of religious men who do not marry and usually live together in a monastery
- stunning : extremely beautiful or attractive
- devastated : completely destroyed
- on all fours : with your hands and knees on the ground
- crawl : to move along on hands and knees or with your body stretched out along a surface
- way to go! : used to tell someone they have done well, or used humorously when someone has done something stupid
- first (of all) : before anything else
- move on : to leave the place where you are staying and go somewhere else
- fall out of love(with someone ): to stop being in love with someone
- whatsoever : used after a negative phrase to add emphasis to the idea that is being expressed
- dead to me : Can be used to express disintrest, hatred, or something/someone
- mate : have sex
- corollary : something that results from something else
- self-conscious : nervous or uncomfortable because you are worried about what people think about you or your actions
- be putty in someone’s hands : If someone is putty in your hands, they will do anything you ask them to do
- brunette : a white woman or girl with dark hair
- astigmatism : loạn thị
- playfully : in a way that is funny and not serious
- disarm : to make someone begin to like you, esp. unexpectedly
Ex : She was disarmed by the older man’s wit and intelligence.
- hold on : used to tell someone to wait for a short time
- in a row : one after another, without anything different happening in between
- jackass : a person who behaves in a silly way
- jerk : a stupid person, usually a man
- make it up to sb : to do something good for someone you have upset, in order to become friends with them again
- mature : Mature people behave like adults in a way that shows they are well developed emotionally
Ex : He’s very mature for his age.
- worldly : practical and having a lot of experience of life
- take a leak/have a leak : urinate
- dumb-ass : someone who is stupid
- miserable : unhappy
- bring ( sth) up : to start to talk about a particular subject
- buck = a dollar
- get sth out of sb : to persuade or force someone to tell or give you something
- figure : to expect, believe, decide, or think that something will happen or that certain conditions will exist
- terrific : /təˈrɪf·ɪk/ very good or enjoyable
- be way past sth : (used for emphasis) far or long
Ex : I was out way past midnight. There’s no use apologizing now. We’re way past that point.
- Be about to : We use the modal expression be about to as an adjective in the modal expression be about to to refer to something that will happen very soon in the future: Ex : He was about to phone the police
- pretty : ( adv ) We can use pretty as an adverb, before an adjective or another adverb, meaning ‘quite, but not extremely’. It is informal
Ex : I’m pretty sure we’ve met before. Were you at Clare Harding’s wedding?
- have ( got ) sth on : If you have something on, you have planned to do it
Ex : Do you have anything on this week? I’ve got something on this Tuesday, but I’m free on Wednesday.
- remind sb of sth/sb : make someone think of, something or someone else
- commit : commit something to do something wrong or illegal
- cry over (someone or something) : To cry for a particular reason.
- metaphor : a metaphor for sth : a symbol that represents a particular thing
Ex : In the film, the city is a metaphor for confusion and loneliness.
- settle : to make a final decision about something
- hangover : a feeling of illness you get the day after drinking too much alcohol
- remedy : /ˈrem.ə.di/ a successful way of curing an illness or dealing with a problem or difficulty
- tuna : cá ngừ
- gravy : a sauce made with meat juices and flour, served with meat and vegetables
- chirpy : happy and active
- bad : severe or serious
Ex : The queues were so bad that I didn’t bother waiting.
- how come : used to ask about the reason for something
Ex : So how come you got an invitation and not me?
- even : We use even to refer to something surprising, unexpected, unusual or extreme
Ex : You can take an online course now and you even do the test online.
- be dying for/to do sth : to be extremely eager to have or do something
- eager : wanting very much to do or have something, especially something interesting or enjoyable
- play it cool : to behave in a calm, controlled way, often intentionally appearing not to be interested in the thing that you very much want to get
- needless : /ˈniːd.ləs/ completely unnecessary
- embarrass : /ɪmˈber.əs/
- screw up (something/someone) : to do very badly or fail at something
- heartbeat : nhịp đập của tim
- call sb up : to telephone someone
- with open arms : in a very friendly way
- take sb back : to allow a partner who previously left your home because of a disagreement or another relationship to come back to live with you
Ex : His wife said she would never take him back.
- go through sth : to experience a difficult or unpleasant situation
Ex : I’ve been going through a bad patch recently.
- stay the hell away from sth
- gray area = grey area : a situation that is not clear or where the rules are not known
Ex : The difference between gross negligence and recklessness is a legal grey area.
- moral : đạo đức , standards for good or bad character and behaviour
- go somebody’s way : if an event goes your way, it happens in the way you want
- go out : to have a romantic relationship, esp. one that includes going places together
- definitely : /ˈdef·ə·nət·li/ without any doubt; certainly
- what if : used to ask about something that could happen in the future, especially something bad
- identical : exactly the same, or very similar
- used-up : Worn out; depleted; exhausted; having nothing left; useless, due to the expenditure of all resources.
- click : to become friendly or popular
- hombre : a man, especially one who is strong or violent
- it’s every man for himself = it’s every hombre for himself : something that you say that means that everyone in a particular situation is trying to do what is best for themselves and no one is trying to help anyone else
- captivity : /kæpˈtɪv.ə.t̬i/ the situation in which a person or animal is kept somewhere and is not allowed to leave
- food poisoning : an illness usually caused by eating food that contains harmful bacteria
- crap : something that is not worth anything, not useful, nonsense, or of bad quality
- heal : /hiːl/ , healing ( noun )
- unanswered : /ʌnˈæn.sɚd/ à nen sợt
- had : strong /hæd/ weak /həd/ /əd/
- adorable : /əˈdɔːr.ə.bəl/
- meanwhile : mín goải
- for the first time since he was 17 : /sɪns/ + /hi/ = sin-shi
- if it wasn’t/weren’t for (also if it hadn’t been for) : without
- we’re : /wɪr/ guy ơ
- ever again : ( usually with negative ) At any time in the future